March 4 is the official date of Mardi Gras 2014! However don’t let that single date limit your getaway plans to New Orleans. Avenue Inn Bed and Breakfast is happy to host your NOLA stay anytime during Mardi Gras Season: from February 15 through March 4!
There are an astonishing 62 Mardi Gras parades scheduled so far! Each parade is hosted by a different Krewe and features its own theme. Whether your interests are animals, nautical, the arts, children, mythology, olden times, science fiction, food, wine, non-profit interests, or any other subject really, there is a Krewe and corresponding parade that is perfect for you.
A full schedule is available at the Mardi Gras Website. The theme and atmosphere of each can be garnered through the Parade Info links, however, here is a short parade summary for consideration of when to visit.
- Saturday, February 15, 2014 – four parades; two in Slidell and two in the French Quarter
- Sunday, February 16, 2014 – two parades: our city’s krewe-for-kids holds their parade in Metairie, and another parade in Slidell
- Friday, February 21, 2014 – six parades marching in Uptown, the French Quarter, Metairie, and Mandeville
- Saturday, February 22, 2014 – eleven parades in Uptown, West Bank, Chalmette, Metairie, Covington, Slidell, and Marigny
- Sunday, February 23, 2014 – six parades in Uptown, Slidell, Madisonville, and the French Quarter
- Wednesday, February 26, 2014 – two evening parades, both in Uptown
- Thursday, February 27, 2014 – three evening parades in Uptown
- Friday, February 28, 2014 – six parades in Uptown, Slidell, Metairie, and Covington
- Saturday, March 1, 2014 – five parades in Uptown, Westbank, Mid-City, and Metairie
- Sunday, March 2, 2014 – five parades in Uptown and Metairie
- Monday, March 3, 2014 – five parades in Uptown and Metairie
- Tuesday, March 4, 2014 – eight parades in Uptown, West Bank, and Metairie
Each of the 62 themed parades will likely have its own unique throws. For some, this is the real sport of the Mardi Gras Season: collecting all of the different favors tossed to the crowds during these many events. Beads, doubloons, even foodstuff – you never know what you might catch when you view a parade here!
No matter which of the many Mardi Gras activities you choose, you’ll be sure to pass a good time here in the Crescent City. Many of these parades (pretty much all of the Uptown parades) pass directly in front of our charming Grande Dame Inn, so you can simply walk out the front door of the Inn and you will be at the best place in city to interact with the floats as they go by! No getting up hours ahead to get a spot, no problem parking your auto and no problem when you need a bathroom break! So call Joe or Bebe now for rates and availability; toll free 800-490-8542. Let us treat you to real southern hospitality at Avenue Inn Bed and Breakfast!