Looking for an excuse to pack your bags and head to the Big Easy next month? We’ll give you five of them. And these are just scratching the surface in a city that is always ready to welcome visitors with open arms, good food and great music.
1. A 300-year celebration! 2018 marks New Orleans Tricentennial and the festivities kick off January 6 with Mardi Gras themed fireworks on the river at 9:00 p.m. Next day, January 7, is a Tricentennial Mass at St. Louis Cathedral at 11:00 a.m.
2. Mardi Gras begins. The first parades will take place on January 6 with the Krewe of Joan of Arc and Société Des Champs Elysée—both in the French Quarter—and Phunny Phorty Phellows in Uptown.
3. Great weather! While it’s blistery and snowy elsewhere, January is wonderful here in New Orleans. Mild to cool days and crisp nights without blizzard conditions!
4. One spicy hot event. TABASCO: A Burlesque Opera was first performed in New Orleans in 1894. In honor of the Tricentennial and thanks to the McIllhenny Company, makers of TABASCO®Sauce, the production will be restaged by the New Orleans Opera Association from January 25-28, 2018.
5. Great deals. Avenue Inn has some terrific packages for this time of year, whether you’re interested in food, history, jazz, romance—or a little bit of each. Check out our packages, then give us a call!